Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Magic Meatloaf

I know, I don't eat meat. Not much of it anyway. Crispy bacon, Burgerville and a few other forms of meat are all right to me. Despite my distaste for most meat products, I loved my mom's meatloaf growing up. Now I have my own recipe.

1/4 c packed brown sugar
1 tsp prepared mustard
dash hot pepper sauce, optional
3/4 c catsup
Makes enough topping for 1 meatloaf.

1 lb ground hamburger, leanest available (4% fat)*
10-oz frozen spinach, thawed & drained
1/2 c cooked rice (about 1/4 c uncooked)
1 large egg
2/3 c cracker crumbs
1/2 c milk (soymilk works great too)
1/3 c finely chopped onion
1 finely chopped red pepper
1 finely chopped green pepper
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp dried sage leaves
1/2 tsp pepper

Preheat oven to 350°.

In small bowl mix brown sugar, mustard, hot pepper sauce, and 1/4 c catsup; set aside (double if you will be cooking both loaves).

In large bowl, mix ground meat, egg, crumbs, milk, onion, red & green peppers, rice, spinach, salt, sage, pepper, and remaining 1/2 c catsup just until well combined but not overmixed. Spoon meat mixture into 2 loaf pans; press down gently.

Spread catsup mixture over top of one loaf. Other loaf may be frozen (Thaw in refrigerator, add catsup mixture to top and cook as indicated). Bake 1 hour and 15 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before slicing.

Serve with baked potatoes.

Note: This recipe works well with only 1 lb of hamburger (that's typically what I use because that's about what the pkg size is) but does not turn out as well using 2 lbs.

* also good with a combination of ground veal, pork and turkey.

** I've added chopped mushrooms, smoked turkey and more with great results.

1 comment: