Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Carry on... Or don't but, pack like a pro

Packing is my thing. I'm *really* good at it. If you can carry on your luggage versus check, you can arrive later at the airport, you save time when you arrive (no waiting for the carousel!) and you don't have to worry about lost luggage. Carrying on is also immensely convenient if you miss your flight or connection (trust me!).

Some of the items in my arsenal of packing tricks...

Lush Massage Bars instead of lotion. They sell tins to keep them in or you can just use a plastic baggy. When you need lotion, just rub on. Benefits? Besides not having to worry about bottles breaking and lotion ending up everywhere, the bars are exempt from 1-qt ziploc bag status! Another company to try: Lilypad Bathworks
**NOTE: These are scented and some of them have dyes -- these dyes will come off on your clothing so please keep that in mind when you choose your massage bar.
If you want something that's scent-free and good for sensitive skin, try Mustela Hydra-Stick.

Nivea Cream, the small containers, the ones you find in the sample section. I carry one of these in my purse regularly. They are slim, creams don't spill or leak and I've managed to take them through airport security outside of the ziplock bag. I did notice, recently, while going through security in Europe, a picture of the larger-sized Nivea cream in the "don'ts" so keep that in mind.

Colorscience Sun Protection
Mineral SPF 30. Great protection and because it's a powder, ziploc exempt! I have the tinted version (Perfectly Clear) and it doubles as foundation if you only need light coverage.

Eagle Creek Pack-It Folder A lifesaver. It comes in 3 sizes and it not only helps you keep things wrinkle-free but it can halve the space your folded clothes require. I have two and never travel without one.

No comments:

Post a Comment