Thursday, September 30, 2010

For the man/woman/child who has everything...

Unfortunately, PrivateAirDaily.com no longer exists on the Web and I can't get the article large enough to be readable. I'm not sure why I saved it; it's not like I am or will ever be, in the market for a blimp. Nevertheless, I'm cleaning out old files and found this article in my file of misc scans. The important details, I'll regurgitate... it seems there is a personal blimp now available. Yes, because everyone needs a blimp, right?

SkyYacht makes these personal blimps, along with a number of other spaceship-like air vehicles; I encourage you to check out their site.

Above is a picture of what your personal blimp could look like. According to the article, it will cost you anywhere from $100,000 to $200,000. I know, it's quite a spread but I suppose, if you're in the market for a personal blimp, a price spread of $100,000 isn't that much to you. Of course, I could be wrong. I've yet to meet anyone who was in the market for a blimp of any kind.

Besides the price and size (unless you have a garage large enough to house a regular blimp), another benefit of a personal blimp is that the company is working with the FAA to obtain special licensing requirements for personal blimps. Unlike traditional blimps, personal blimps are powered by hot air and that may mean easier licensing requirement.

Traditional blimps require a fair amount of training and there are no schools for blimp flying. A lighter-than-air pilot certification isn't easy to come by and yes, during the practical portion of the exam, you DO need to parallel park your blimp. And you thought the DMV was hard on you at 16.

No comments:

Post a Comment