Thursday, August 19, 2010

What to do...

The other night I ate wheat products. I hadn't planned to but it happened. I hadn't made it the full 8 weeks without gluten but I was close, ok, at least halfway there.

Yesterday, the day after I ate wheat, I had no symptoms. No puffiness, no dry eye (in fact, I didn't use eyedrops at all that day), nothing. Today I had minimal problems with dry eye but certainly not what I've experienced in the past.

Does this mean wheat is not my problem? Since I stopped eating wheat, I've only had days of relief. I've been told you need to go approx 8 weeks to feel relief of symptoms but wouldn't you feel *some* improvement? And wouldn't consuming gluten cause more symptoms, not the lack of symptoms I had?

Moving forward, I went to a rheumatologist today, had a blood test and spoke with her about my symptoms (dry eye) as well as a number of other things, including my diet. She seemed very convinced that wheat is not my problem. So, how much do I rely on a Vega test result when an M.D. who specializes in auto-immune disorders tells me there is no connection between wheat consumption and dry eye issues?

No comments:

Post a Comment