Monday, August 2, 2010

Gluten Free Chocolate Cookies

Ok, so this new diet thing hasn't been going so well. I spent the first 3 weeks failing completely while being angry that I needed to cut out way too many things I love to *hopefully* be healthy. What is life without bread, pasta, decaf coffee & CHOCOLATE and WINE?

I decided I'm simply not strong enough to deal with all of these items at the same time. It may not be the most efficient way to do things but I'm keeping my occasional decaf, and chocolate and wine, as often as I need. My anger level has diminished considerably since I've allowed myself these things.

I've heard from some people that cutting wheat from their diet resulted in 5-10 lbs of weight loss. Hmmm, not so for me. I spent the first 3 weeks looking for (and eating) chocolate & wheat-free treats. Nevermind that before this diet, I rarely "needed" dessert but such is life. A girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do.

To satisfy my chocolate needs, I've been dabbling in ready-made chocolate cookies. So far I've tried three.

Very crunchy, not popcorn-like-crunchy but almost hard. Not too hard but if you have fragile teeth or a lot of mouth work, perhaps not for you. Sweet with tiny chocolate chips.

These are virtually pointless, IMO. Scratch that; they are a good option if you're using them for a cookie pie crust or want a lightly flavored biscuit. They are dry and kind of flavorless if you're looking for actual chocolate flavor.

The best of the bunch (so far), IMO. They have an earthy texture & flavor, thanks to the crispy rice, that I'd probably skip if given the option but still, the chocolate flavor is most certainly there and they are soft and chewy like a homemade cookie vs. hard like the Cookie Buttons.

One last (unrelated to chocolate) note: If you bake a gluten-free pizza, set a timer -- or don't -- honestly, the burned part tastes better than the rest of it.


No comments:

Post a Comment