Thursday, September 3, 2009

More Chicken

Last winter, I made an attempt to add more chicken (aka protein) to my diet and with summer and salmon season, I soon forgot about chicken.

It's probably the preparations I've chosen but chicken seems more appropriate in cold weather. Surprisingly, that left me opportunity in August. I anticipate wet chill in June but August and September mean summer in Oregon. Usually.

The other night, I whipped up a batch of my mom's barbeque sauce / marinade and marinated two bone-in chicken breasts, overnight.

Moms Barbecue Sauce

1/4 c vinegar
1/2 c water
2 T sugar
1 T mustard
1/2 tsp pepper
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1 thick slice lemon
1 onion sliced
1/4 c margarine
1/2 c catsup
2 T Worcestershire sauce

Mix first 10 ingredients & simmer 20 min. Add catsup and Worcestershire sauce & bring to boil.

About an hour before I planned to serve dinner, I took the lid off of the glass container, preheated the oven to 350 and inserted my oven thermometer into the thickest part of one of the chicken breasts. Once the oven temperature reached 350, I put the chicken in the oven, attached the probe (160 degrees) and waited.

Yum!

* If dairy-free is important to you, be sure to check ingredient list for margarine (or use vegan) as some margarines do contain milk products.

No comments:

Post a Comment