Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Enchiladas

I made enchiladas last night for dinner. I've made them before but never with meat and never made enough to freeze.

I made up a recipe based on things that sounded good* --
chicken breast, oven-cooked in salsa then shredded
sweet corn
onion, sauteed w/a bit of oil & finished with a dash of apple cider vinegar
black & pinto beans, heated & crushed a bit in pan with onions
salsa
cayenne pepper
Mexican seasoning

Mix everything together. Place filling in tortillas, top with cheese and roll.
Prior to cooking, cover with enchilada sauce (my recipe is from my grandmother) & top with a sprinkle of cheese.

Couple of things I learned:
If you use corn tortillas, nuke them in the microwave. If you don't, they break.
If you plan on freezing: If you freeze with sauce, cook first. If you freeze without sauce, do not cook. @pdxFoodDude provided me with this website to answer that question.

*Next time I'll add red pepper but I forgot to pick one up at the store. I'd also like to add more veggies (not a fan of zucchini or yellow squash, which are frequently added to enchiladas) so if anyone has any suggestions, let me know!

** To make dairy-free, eliminate cheese or use vegan cheese. Make special note of taco seasoning ingredients, many contain lactose or other milk-based ingredients.
*** To make gluten-free, use corn tortillas and again, be sure to check taco seasoning ingredients for any gluten ingredients, prior to use.

No comments:

Post a Comment