Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Quinoa with Dried Cranberries, Apricots, and Pecans

I'm in love with quinoa (pronounce keen-wa). It's healthy, gluten-free, it has protein, it's delicious and it's EASY to make.

This recipe is done in the time it takes to cook the quinoa, barely anytime at all. I don't remember where I found it but it's become a favorite.

Quinoa with Dried Cranberries, Apricots, and Pecans
Yield: 6 servings
2 c fat-free, reduced sodium chicken or vegetable broth or water (I've used both homemade chicken broth and water and haven't found there to be a substantial difference so use what's convenient for you)
1 c quinoa, thoroughly rinsed and drained
Pinch of salt, optional
1/4 c dried cranberries*
1/4 c diced dried apricots
2 T minced fresh thyme leaves
1/4 c finely chopped toasted pecans

In a medium saucepan, bring the broth to a boil. Add the quinoa and salt. 
Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 12-15 minutes, until all the liquid is absorbed. Stir the cranberries, apricots and thyme into the hot quinoa. Top with pecans and serve hot or cold. **



Notes: It is important to rinse quinoa very thoroughly before cooking it to avoid a bitter flavor.

To toast the pecans, put them in a small skillet over med-high heat and stir frequently for 2-3 minutes, until lightly browned. Immediately transfer the nuts to a small dish and cool.
Toasting the nuts adds a great dimension to the dish but if you're short on time or simply lazy, it tastes great without toasting the nuts first.



* The last time I made this, I realized too late that I didn't have dried cranberries on hand so I substituted dried cherries; terrific!

** I often chop & measure the apricots, cranberries & pecans ahead of time and store in a container. Once the quinoa is done, I empty the container into the cooking pan, add the fresh thyme, stir and put into a serving dish.

No comments:

Post a Comment