Monday, February 7, 2011

Like a treasure hunt...

I am ferreting out various sources of casein in my diet. This morning, I looked at the ingredient list for my vitamin C tablets, they contain dairy; goodbye.

I called Baush & Lomb to see if the Ocuvite supplement I've been taking contains casein or nuts and they said they would get back to me. She didn't think so but as casein isn't something she's commonly asked about, she wanted to be sure.

I still need to check with various other medications/supplements I have tucked away. The company that makes the B vitamin supplement I've been taking wasn't open when I called just prior to 8am PST. I'm particularly concerned with the various eye drops I've been using but I haven't found a good source of information yet. I will probably have to make phone calls for those too.

I know that anything that contains the word 'casein' is problematic for me but I came across some others while label-reading in the grocery store. Now, anything word I'm not familiar with or that looks like it might contain casein (any calcium or dairy-sounding words) have become suspect.

A few words from today's trip to the store:

calcium propionate - appears to be casein free, it's a preservative
dyglycerides - could be problematic as they are food additives that can be either animal or vegetable-derived. I'm not clear as to whether they have anything to do with casein but if in doubt, do without. I'll keep looking for animal- and specifically dairy-free products.
calcium disodium EDTA - whatever this is, it appears not to be animal-based. I'm not terribly excited about consuming something that causes reproductive and developmental effects but it doesn't appear to be a problem wherein casein is the issue.
disodium inosinate - basically a salt; not a concern for me but if you have issues with MSG, it's something to keep an eye out for.

No comments:

Post a Comment